emu
German Motorcycles

Motorcycles Built in Germany (P)

Motorräder Hergestellt in Deutschland: Notes on some of the rarer German marques

This page lists brand names beginning with the letters "P" and "Q" for which limited historical information is currently available.
For a more complete listing visit the German Index.

P

Pan, and Everest
Manufactured by Konstruktor GmbH of Berlin, 1924-1926
The firm produced the Pan with a 500cc Kühne engine in 1924. The following year the brand was renamed Everest, but was basically the same machine. It is suggested that Rempp engines from GAR may have been fitted to the Everest.
The firm succumbed to the inflation crisis sweeping the nation.
NB. Everest is unrelated to the French marque of the same name.
Source: GTU Oldtimerservice


Panther
Manufactured by Panther Fahrradwerke in Magdeburg, 1903-1909
The company acquired Brunsviga of Brunswich in 1907 and moved their operation to that location, ceasing production in 1909.
Another company of the same name appeared in the early 1930s. See Pantherwerke AG
Source: GTU Oldtimerservice


Paque
Manufactured by August Paqué in Augsburg, 1921-1925
Powered bicycles of 140cc were built from 1922, followed by machines with with 147cc and 197cc engines of their own manufacture which were supplied to other manufacturers including Agon Ammon, Busse, KRS, Runge and Zürtz. There may also have been a 500cc motorcycle.
Source: GTU Oldtimerservice, et al.


Patria
Manufactured in Solingen by Patria-WKC 1925-1952
A descendant of an ancient German firm, WKC built their first motorcycles with 250 and 350 Roconova single-cylinder engines. Production halted in 1927, and resumed either shortly before or shortly after the war with Sachs-powered lightweights.
The firm does not appear to be related to the famous Spanish marque of the same name.
Source: GTU Oldtimerservice


Patzner

Manufactured by Patzner-Werke, Bad Mergentheim. 1954-56

Built mopeds powered by Patzner engines.

Models include Filou LK23, Mulus Solo-Roller, Cortina and 1956 Sport, the latter having the appearance of a motorcycle.

Source: mo-ped.se, motor-lit-berlin.de


Paul Süße
Built at Josephstraße 33 Leipzig using F&S 98cc engines during the 1930s, around 60 of these were built of which only one remains.
Source: motorräder-aus-leipzig.de


Pawa
1922-1924
Three decades before Velocette's Noddy Bike made it's indelible mark, Kurt Passow's Pawa appeared, ever so briefly.
Built in Klein-Stöckheim the Pawa was chain-driven with a 226cc two-stroke housed in a sheet-metal monocoque chassis with interchangeable wheels.
In 1924 with inflation running rampant, and despite aid from Ernst Eichler, the business failed. Passow sold the patents and manufacturing equipment to Friemann & Wolf, who built the Per.
Source: François-Marie Dumas, et al.


Pawi
Manufactured in 1922-1924* by Paul Victor Willke of Berlin-Reinickendorf, these bespoke motorcycles were powered by 492cc boxer twins from BMW. The firm also built automobiles.
*Wikipedia says motorcycles were built in 1921 only. (2018)
Sources: GTU Oldtimerservice, Wikipedia DE, Tragatsch.


PE
1923-24
Built their own 132cc two-stroke engines which were mounted in lightweight frames.
Source: Tragatsch p247


Per
1924-26
Friemann & Wolf purchased the plans and plant equipment from Passow (Pawa) and renamed it the Per, using a larger engine and belt drive.

The Per was a considerably improved over the Pawa, using a larger engine with enclosed engine bay and substantial additional weather protection. Engine supposedly ran on a variety of fuels, from crude oil to petroleum. Two models, with optional two- and three-speed gearbox and chain drive to the rear wheel on later models.
It appears there may have been three models, using engines of 1.9ps, 3.5ps, and 8ps (344cc).
The machines failed to find a market in the dire economic clmate of the times, and like hundreds of other motorcycle firms, the company failed.
The August Horch Museum has displayed the only surviving example, restored by the owner, Michael Lehmann.
Source: François-Marie Dumas, Tragatsch p248, motor-hist-foto.de.


Perkeo
Built in Berlin by Henry Feilchenfeld from 1924 to 1926, the 170cc two-stroke machine is known largely from reports on its unenviable reputation.
Source: GTU Oldtimerservice


Permo
1952-54
Mopeds with engines supplied by Victoria.
Source: Tragatsch p248


Peters
Manufactured by Peters, Steingrüber & Co. of Berlin 1924-1925
Belt-driven lightweights powered by a 143 cc DKW engine.
Unrelated to the Isle of Man machine of the same name and period.
Source: GTU Oldtimerservice


Phantom

Manufactured by Engen & Auders of Berlin, 1921-1928

The Phantom initially used their own 148cc to 246 cc engines for their motorcycles and powered bicycles. In the mid 1920s, 173cc to 490cc JAP engines were also employed. The auxiliary bicycle engine was sold to many other manufacturers. These were 148.6cc, 55x70mm B/S.

Source: GTU Oldtimerservice



Phönix (Phoenix)
There were two German companies which used the name Phönix
The first was built by Ruhrtal-Motorradwerke R.M.W. of Neheim, 1933-1940. See RMW.
The second was built by Bruno Viertmann between 1935 and 1939, along with JLO-powered utility tricycles and lightweights with Sachs 100 engines. Viertmann's business exploits are well documented in the book Motorräder aus Bielefeld by Johann Kleine Vennekate.
Source: GTU Oldtimerservice


Pimph
1924-26
Built motorcycles with JAP 490cc sv and OHV singles, and MAG V-twins. A 1925 brochure shows Sportmodell 498ccm ohv and Tourenmodell 498ccm sv
Sources: Tragatsch p250, motorradphoto.de


Pirol
1951-1954
Manufactured by Pirol Werke GmbH, Dortmund
Pirol had absorbed the Schweppe company, and they also built the Miranda with 150cc Sachs and 200cc Kurchen engines.
The Pirol 1952 sales brochure shows a 200cc scooter with the headlight mounted well-forward on the frong guard, along with two scooter combinations. One has a passenger sidecar, and the other a caravan-shaped carry box.
See also Schweppe
Source: Tragatsch p211, et al.


Pony
Manufactured by Horstmann & Schwidde of Bielefeld, 1923-1925
The company built motorcycles with 143cc DKW and 233cc König two-stroke engines. It had long footboards, belt drive, a two-speed gearbox a rim brake on the rear wheel belt drive pulley.
Source: GTU Oldtimerservice


Postler
Manufactured by Walter Postler, Niedersedlitz, 1920-1924
A scooter (Motorläufer) with a 225cc engine sitting behind the front forks, and later used a 246cc motor.
Source: GTU Oldtimerservice


Potthoff
1924-26
Built light motorcycles fitted 185cc Norman engines from England.
Source: Tragatsch p251


Premier
Manufactured 1910 - 1913
Premierwerke AG., Fahrrad & Maschinenfabrik (J.C. Braun), Wächterstarße 2, Nuremberg
Premier was founded by Messers Hillmann, Herbert and Cooper in Coventry. The Nuremberg branch was created in 1911 in company with Christian Braun. Shortly before the Guns of August the continental company moved to Eger in what was later known as Czechoslovakia. The factory there became the largest in the country.
The Nuremburg machines were powered by 250 class two-strokes and sidevalve four-strokes of 293cc and 348cc. See also Premier Cycle Co.
Source: meisterdinger.de

PSW
1924-29
Built their own engines of 247cc with inlet and exhaust ports both at the front of the engine. Also built motorcycles using JAP and Blackburne engines 249 to 490cc. They also built minicars or microcars, and motorcycles for children with 98cc engines.
Arnold Stölting of Hamburg raced a 250cc PSW in 1927, near Rotenburg.
Source: Tragatsch p253, nac-bremen.de


Quelle
Quelle Versandhaus GmbH, Nuremberg
In the mid-sixties the Quelle mail-order company Quelle sold lightweights under the name Quelle Bonance.
The Mars brand name was acquired by Quelle around 1958, and it may be that the Gritzner Monza was sold under the Quelle label.
Sources: GTU Oldtimerservice, meisterdinger.de


German Resources

Notes
motor-hist-foto.de and das-leichtmotorrad.de are the same.


If you have a query or information about German motorcycles, please contact us

City Coast Motorcycles
City Coast Motorcycles

Triumph, BMW, & Kawasaki Sales Spares & Repairs.
Established for over 40 years and run by expert motorcyclists.
Fully authorised workshop.