German

Motorcycles Built in Germany (W)

Motorräder Hergestellt in Deutschland: Notes on some of the rarer German marques

This page lists brands for which we currently have only an historical precis, beginning with the letter "W".
For a more complete listing visit the German Index.

W

Wackwitz
1920-22
Paul Wackwitz of Crefeld (now Krefeld, nr Dusseldorf) built 106cc four-stroke bicycle attachment engines supplied separately or complete with bicycle frames.
Sources: Tragatsch p294


Walmet
1924-26
Built motorcycles with their own 246cc two-strokes and also used 346cc Kuhne ohv engines.
Sources: Tragatsch p294


Walmobil 1919


Weber-MAG
1926-27
Leo Weber (Motorradbau, Mannheim) built a range of motorcycle using ioe MAG engines of 346cc, 498cc and 746cc.
Sources: Tragatsch p295


Wecoob
1925-30
Quite a range of machines were constructed using 142cc Rinne two-strokes, 172cc to 347cc Villiers, and 348cc to 997cc JAP engines. Actual production figures were low.
Source: Tragatsch p295


Wegro 1922-1923


Weise
1925-1939, Berlin
Using engines from Rinne and JLO, Weise & Co built commercial three-wheelers (Liefermotorrad). The engines were mounted above the front wheel.
Source: wikipedia.de


Weiss 1925-1928


WEKO
Manufactured by Wemhöner, Hilbert & Co. of Bielefeld, 1924-1926
Weko motorcycles were powered by 250cc engines built in their factory. The firm, which had been long established in the bicycle industry, did quite well in local motorcycle competitions.
Source: GTU Oldtimerservice


Wela
1925-27
Built in Apolda, Thüringen, using ohv 348cc Kuhne engines designed by Gnadig
Source: Tragatsch p295


Wels
Bautzen, 1925-26
Fitted ohv 348cc Kuhne and JAP 490cc ohv engines to frames similar to those of BMW.
Source: Tragatsch p295


Welt-Rad

Manufactured 1901-07

Established bicycle firm in Schönebeck (Elbe) which fitted 3.5hp singes and 6hp v-twin engines of their own construction into robust frames.

Source: Tragatsch p295



Wellerdiek
Manufactured by Erwin & Paul Wellerdiek of Brackwede, 1938-1939
Having built bicycles since the 1920s, the venture into motorcycle production was cut short by the National Socialists. The inexpensive lightweight was fitted with a 118cc JLO engine.
Source: GTU Oldtimerservice


Wendax Commercial Three-wheelers, 1932-1951


Werno
Manufactured by W. Noel & Cie. Motorenfabrik Werno, Berlin N24, Linienstraße 139-140, 1921-1923
The Werno Power Wheel (Werno-Kraft-Rad) were fitted with 197cc engines from Rheinische-Motorenwerke in Düsseldorf. Despite the name, the motorcycle was quite conventional with the engine fitted centrally in the frame. (GTU)
Tragatsch tells a slightly different story, saying that the engines were designed and built by Werner Noel and were OHV units of 154 and 197cc, produced until 1924.
They also used the OHV Snob engine (55x65mm b/s).
Sources: GTU Oldtimerservice, Tragatsch, motor-hist-foto.de.


Wesnigk 1923-25


Wiga
1928-1930
Wiga-Werk in Ludwigshafen built well-designed motorcycles using Kuchen and JAP engines of 198, 348cc and 498cc. There may also have been a smaller engine.
Source: Tragatsch p297


Wikro
Manufactured by WG Krauss & Co. of Cologne, 1924-1926
Initially Wikro sold (possibly rebadged) Toreador motorcycles with 346cc Precision engines, and then from 1925 offered machines with 347cc and 497cc Blackburne units.
Sources: GTU Oldtimerservice, Tragatsch.


Wimmer 1928-1938


Windt
In 1954 to 1958 Fritz Windt of Lage, Lippe, built mopeds with Sachs and JLO engines. Models include: W 50 (JLO FP 50) 1954 and W 56 (JLO FP 50) 1954.
Sources: Moped Archive, GTU Oldtimerservice


Wittekind
Manufactured by Wittekind-Fahrradfabrik of Bielefeld from 1952 to 1955
The bicycle factory produced mopeds with engines from Sachs and Zündapp.
Source: GTU Oldtimerservice
N.B. Wittekind Automobile AG of Berlin (1920s) does not appear related.


Wittler


WK
1920-22
Built in Berlin along the lines of the British Auto-Wheel, this was an engine built into a wheel which could be attached to a bicycle. Believed to have used a 249cc sv Hilfsmotor from WMB.
Source: Tragatsch p298, motor-hist-foto.de.


WMB
1924-26
Built limited numbers of light motorcycles with 1.8 hp sidevalve engines of their own production. Believed to have built a 249cc sv Hilfsmotor supplied to WK.
NB. There is reference to a Hungarian marque of this name in the 1930s built on Csepel Island; the information refers to the Weiss Manfred marque.
Sources: Tragatsch p298, Wikipedia.de


Woag-Motorräder
Manufactured by Wagenbauanstalt Oldenburg A.G. (WOAG)
Established in 1916 in Osternburg, between 1921 and 1926 the company built some 150 motorcycles. They folded in 1927 due to the difficult financial situation, and Franz Haniel & Co. then occupied the factory.
Sources: alt-oldenburg.de, wikipedia.de


Wotan
Manufactured by Wotan-Werk AG, Leipzig, 1923-1925.
Engines were mostly 170cc two-strokes.
The history of the firm stretches back to 1883. It had numerous transformations over the following 100 years becoming a leading manufacturer of machine tools. The Russians took much of the factory tooling after the war, and this was followed by decades under the Soviet thumb. After the wall came down things began to improve, and today, as WEMA, the company thrives.
Sources: motorräder-aus-leipzig.de, et al


WSE
1924-25
Görlitz firm built light motorcycles with their own 249cc sidevalve engines. These engines were sold to other manufacturers.
Source: Tragatsch p298


WSM
1919-23
Based in Sudbauer, Munich, the firm built motorcycles using 493cc sv HO engines and also the Stolle-designed ohv flat twins which they supplied to Victoria before that company bought the WSM factory.
Source: Tragatsch p298


Wuco
1925
Gebr. Wurmstich & Co., Fahrzeugerzeugung, Halle an der Saale
Built motorcycles using their own 174 cc sv engine and also used JAP 238, 348 and 490cc sidevalve units.
Sources: Tragatsch p299, motor-hist-foto.de.


Wulfhorst

Manufactured by Karl Wulfhorst, Gütersloh, Herzogbrockerstraße 5, c.1987

The firm built bicycles and a Mofa-Dreirad (moped tricycle) powered by a 47cc engine from Fichtel & Sachs. The luggage box was positioned quite high with the C of G well behind the rear axle, so heavy loads may have made for interesting handling characteristics. The wheels were cast alloy with narrow spokes.

Source: Axel Oskar Mathieu Archive


Würdig
Manufactured by Max Würdig, Georg Anders Nachf, Leipzig from 1927 to 1938.
These were three-wheeled delivery vans (Eilwagen) with an engine mounted above the front wheel and a tray and two wheels at the rear. They employed both two-stroke and four-stroke engines.
Around 160 new vehicles appeared in German registry records for the years 1932-1938.
Source: motorräder-aus-leipzig.de, Axel Oskar Mathieu Archive.


wurttembergia logo

Württembergia
Manufactured by Württembergia AG, Berlin, 1925-1933
The firm built sports motorcycles using 200cc to 600cc Blackburne engines and Sturmey-Archer gearboxes. When Hitler's jingoist government banned foreign imports in much the same manner as happened during the Trump regime, the end was nigh for the popular Berlin marque.
Source: GTU Oldtimerservice


German Resources