emu
German Motorcycles

Motorcycles Built in Germany (K)

Motorräder Hergestellt in Deutschland: Notes on some of the rarer German marques

This page lists brand names beginning with the letter "K" for which limited historical information is currently available.
For a more complete listing visit the German Index.

K

KADI
Manufactured 1924-1930
Built motorcycles using 198cc and 498cc 3 valve OHC Küchen engines.
Source: Tragatsch p181


Kalkhoff
1950s
Kalkhoff-Werke GmbH., Oldenburg, built mopeds with JLO engines in the 1950s
Source: mo-ped-se


Karü
Manufactured by Stockdorfer Motorenwerke AG, 1922-1924
The Munich firm built motorcycles powered by Douglas HO twins produced in Germany under licence, and also BMW boxer engines. The same factory produced the SMW and KR marques.
Another source says that Karü built a version of the Bosch-Douglas which were supplied to Astra, Bayern and Bravis.
Source: GTU Oldtimerservice, Tragatsch p181


Katho
Manufactured 1923-1925
Built lightweights with 198cc Alba engines.
Source: Tragatsch p181


KC
Manufactured by Kirchheim & Co. of Magdeburg, 1900~1925
The firm built a variety of models, among them 100cc two-stroke powered bicycles, 250cc longitudinal HO twins, and a scooter.
Source: GTU Oldtimerservice


Keni
Manufactured in Berlin from 1921 to 1925 or '26, the firm produced three models. The Type A and Type B had disc wheels and a 160cc engine with two-speed gearbox. There was also a 143cc lightweight.
Source: GTU Oldtimerservice


Kessel
1923-1925
Kessel & Schmidt; - Maschinenfabrik, Pößneck in Thür., Neustädterstr. 51
Source: motor-hist-foto.de


King-JAP
Manufactured 1928-1931
Assembled machines using 196, 346, 490 and 545cc JAP engines. Most of the chassis and running gear components were also made in England.
Source: Tragatsch p184


Klotz
Manufactured in Stuttgart 1923-1926. Director G. Roau
246cc two-strokes designed by Wilhelm Gutbrod who later founded the Standard brand.
Ridden by Gebbardt et al, the marque was quite successful in competition.
Source: motoglasklar.de, Tragatsch p185


KM
1924-1926
Built lightweight motorcycles using 142 and 1959cc two-stroke engines of their own manufacture.
Source: Tragatsch p185


KMB
1923-1926
Constructed single cylinder four-stroke machines using engines of their own design in two versions, two-valve and four-valve, the latter delivering 6hp.
Source: Tragatsch p185


KMS
1922-1924
Kunz & Müller Motorradwerk,, Militärstraße 88b Stuttgart.
Models included a 196cc OHV single with inclined valves using an engine of their own design, and a 142cc model with a Grade two-stroke engine. There was also a Kraftrad model with a 2.5ps DKW engine.
Source: Tragatsch p185, wirtemberg.de, motor-hist-foto.de


KÖBO
Manufactured 1923-1926
Emil Köhler & Hermann Bovenkamp were partners in the company established in 1894 and became well-known for their chains, having developed a manufacturing process which is in use to this day. Emil departed before WWI.
Both Wuppertal and Barmen-Hatzfeld are associated with the history of the marque.
The company built motorcycles using their own 276cc two-stroke engines but ceased production during the period of hyperinflation, as did a great many other motorcycle manufacturers in Germany.
Source: Tragatsch p185


Köhler
Manufactured by Ludwig & Karl Köhler, Baumstraße 8, Munich. 1914-1929
Built motorcycles using their own engines. These are likely to have been supplied to other manufacturers.
Sources: motor-talk.de, motopedia-online.info
NB: NIT


Kohler
c.1929~1940, Munich

Alleinige Hersteller: Köhler Motoren-u. Fahrzeugbau Inhaber: Ing. Ludwig und Karl Köhler
Sole manufacturer: Koehler engines. Fahrzeugbau Owner: Ing. Ludwig and Karl Köhler. Munich

From the sales leaflet:

  • Der Motor Köhler-Type „E" 1,914 PS, Bohrung 74,5 mm, Hub 80 mm, 347 ccm, ist das Ergebnis langjähriger Erfahr- ungen aui dem Gebiete des ventillosen Zweitaktmotors. Er zeichnet sich besonders aus durch enorme Dauerleistung, absolute Betriebssicherheit, große Lebensdauer, sowie gute Wirtschaftlichkeit.

    The engine Köhler-Type "E" 1,914 HP, bore 74.5 mm, 80 mm stroke, 347 CC, is the result of years of Experience- payments aui the areas of the valve two-stroke engine. He is particularly characterised by enormous continuous output, absolute operational safety, service life, and good cost-effectiveness.


Source:


Kofa
Kofa AG, Neutorstraße 10, Nuremberg, 1923 - 1925
Built motorcycles with 289cc single-cylinder two-stroke engines
Source: meisterdinger.de


Kolibri
Manufactured 1923-1930
Cycle attachment engines available separately or assembled with a Kolibri bicycle.
Source: Tragatsch p185


Komet

Manufactured by Kirschner & Co. of Dresden 1902-1905

Built under license from Ixion of France, the motorised bicycle used a 1.5HP two-stroke engine.

Source: GTU Oldtimerservice



Konig

Founded in Berlin in 1927, the firm specialised in marine engines. In the 1950s these were adapted to speedboat racing in the USA and did very well. A motorcycle racing engine was developed for sidecar racing, and the boxer four engines powered many machine to victory during the 1970s.

Source: GTU Oldtimerservice




Kondor
Manufactured in Berlin 1924-1925
The firm built two models, the two-stroke Simplex, and the four-stroke Ideal, both with a 2-speed gearbox integral with the unit-construction engines, and was available with electric lighting.
Source: GTU Oldtimerservice


Kosmos
Manufactured by Euroimport Schlich of Mayen from 1985.
In the years 1985 and '86 the firm produced 12 different models enduro and motor-cross machines using mostly Italian components and modified Sachs two-stroke engines. Later machines were the KSR175 and KSR250, both powered by Moto Morini. Series production ceased in the early 1990s but the KSR250 remained available on special order for some time.
Source: GTU Oldtimerservice


Koster (KS)
Manufactured 1923-1925
A lightweight with pressed metal and tubular frame, it was fitted with 123cc Bekamo and 144cc Cockerell engines. It had disc wheels, used both chain and belt drive which were fully enclosed. The fuel tank was integral with upper frame.
Source: Tragatsch p186


K.R. (1920s)
Manufactured by Dr. Ing. Karl Rühmer & Co, München, 1924-1925
The successor to the KarRü, these machines used the early 492cc HO twins and also 998cc MAG v-twin engines with IOE valves in a duplex cradle frame.
Sources: Tragatsch p186, et al.


K.R. (1930s)
Manufactured in München 1930-1933.
Unrelated to the KR marque of the previous decade built by Karl Rühmer, these machines were assembled using JAP 198cc SV and OHV engines, and JAP 298cc engines.
Source: Tragatsch p186.


KRS
Manufactured 1921-1926
Built motorcycles with 148 and 198cc ohv Paque engines, and 293cc Bosch-Douglas HO twins supplied by SMW.
Source: Tragatsch p187


Kramer

Fritz Kramer of Laubus-Eschbach ran a motorcycle business established by his father in Laubus-Eschbach, Hesse, and was very active in motocross and enduro. Having campaigned and sold DKW, the firm then took up with Maico and their successful competition machines became known as Kramer-Maico, of which some 50 to 80 were produced in the years 1975-76.

In 1977 they began producing Rotax-powered machines under the Kramer brand and were immediately successful, most of them being sold in France where they had an enthusiastic importer. In 1980 Kramer hit financial difficulties and folded due, it is said, to non-payment by the French importer.

A new company was formed in Italy initially named Kramer Italia and from 1982 Kram-It. At that stage the firm became totally Italian with the exception of the engine which Rotax still supplied.

Peter Heuser, an importer and distributor, purchased the remnants of the German Kramer concern and attempted to re-establish the marque in the mid-1980s with disastrous consequences. Facing financial ruin, he committed suicide.

The last of the many owners of the brand is believed to be Reinhard Hallat, in the 1ate 1990s.

Sources: GTU Oldtimerservice, classic-motorrad.de, kramer-sportmotorraeder.de, motociclismo.es


Krause Racer
The machine appeared in race reports of 1926 and 1927, and is believed to have been a 175cc motorcycle. It is not known if it was related the Krause sidecar manufacturer.
Source: motorräder-aus-leipzig.de


Krause Seitenwagen
Built by Gustav Krause, it possibly used Stoye components
Source: motorräder-aus-leipzig.de


KSB
From 1924 to 1929 the firm built a variety of machines using engines from DKW (142cc and 175cc), Kuhne (348cc ohv), Blackburne, and JAP (248cc and 490cc, the latter in both ohv and sv configuration).
Source: Tragatsch p187


Kühne Engines
Franz Gnädig designed the first Kühne engine in 1925 after Allright took over the Cito firm, and these 350cc OHV units were built in Dresden. Gnädig became a director of Diamant in 1927.
The engines were used by numerous marques in the 1920s including AWD, Diamant, Elfa, Elite, Everest, Indus, Gnadig, KSB, K.Z., Oberwetter, Pan, Sartorius Teco, Wela, Weiss and Zeus. They were often high-performance engines, at least one of which had desmodromic valves.


Kuli
Manufactured by Georg Kulitzky of Berlin, 1922-1924
Built lightweight motorcycles using engines from Bekamo, DKW, Beuker, Snob and Alba.
Source: GTU Oldtimerservice


Kurras
Built from 1925 to 1927
These lightweight sports machines had triangulated frames with watercooled Bekamo 173cc two-stroke engines. Production was very limited.
Source: Tragatsch p188


KV
Manufactured 1924-1927
Fairly basic motorcycles using their own OHV engines of 197cc and 248cc.
Source: Tragatsch p188


K.Z.
1924-1925. Another product of the Krieger-Gnadig firm, KZ machines were powered by Alba 198cc single-cylinder four-strokes with a two-speed gearbox, V-belt drive, parallelogram fork and block brakes. There was also a sports machine with 350 cc Kühne engine and final drive by chain.
Source: Tragatsch p188, et al.


German Resources

Notes
motor-hist-foto.de and das-leichtmotorrad.de are the same.


If you have a query or information about German motorcycles, please contact us

Phil Aynsley Photography
Phil Aynsley Photography
Thousands of quality photographs featuring Ducati, Moto Guzzi, MV Agusta and numerous other marques. An index to many of the amazing galleries on his site is available here:
Phil Aynsley's Motorcycle Photos