This page lists brand names beginning with the letter "Z" for which limited historical information is currently available.
For a more complete listing visit the German Index.
Friedhelm Zabel had been involved in motorcycle racing for some time before he began building his own engines. Early versions were Maico-based 620cc units, and in 1988 he built a water-cooled 685cc two-stroke for motocross sidecars producing over 80hp. Despite its extraordinary output, it weighed a mere 30kg. It was an immediate success.
Source: François-Marie Dumas
Emil Zehner, Motorradbau, Suhl, Thüringen
This lightweight motorcycle built in small numbers was fitted with a 197cc sidevalve engine designed by Otto Dehne.
Sources: Tragatsch p301
Zimmer & Gehlich, Zetge Fahrzeugwerke, Moys-Görlitz
Built good quality lightweight motorcycles and three-wheelers using engines of their own manufacture in 142cc and 173cc capacities, and also two-strokes from DKW in similar sizes. The three-wheelers had the engine mounted forward and above the front wheel and had such names as Zetgelette and Zetgemobil. The solo Einheitsmodell had an unusual and quite shapely appearance.
Sources: Tragatsch p302, motor-hist-foto.de
Manufactured by Otto Zeugner Motorradbau, Berlin, 1902-1905
Engines from Minerva, Zedel, Fafnir and Peugeot were fitted to strengthened motorcycle frames typical of the era.
Source: GTU Oldtimerservice
Manufactured by Klotz & Recker of Leipzig-Lindenau, 1926-c1932
Used Kühne and Küchen engines, Hurth gearboxes and their own frames. Some machines were supplied with sidecars using Stoye chassis, the the company appears to have had a relationship with both Klotz & Becker.
Ziegelgängsberger & Jakob, Untere Kanalstraße 1, Nuremberg, 1924 - 1926
Motorcycles using 211 and 246cc two-strokes, along with 348 and 496cc side-valvev and OHV engines from JAP and Blackburne.
1920 to 1925
Founded by Albert Roder and Karl Zirkel in Fürth, later in Forchheim.
Built 150, 250 and 350cc two-stroke machines using rotary valves from 1920 to 1925. The two men also founded the E.M.A.G. company in Erlangen.
Source: deacademic com
Built by Felix Zwanzig of Rehbach near Leipzig, ca. late 1920s to early 1930s.
Manufactured by A. König, Plärrer 4, Nuremberg, 1924 - 1925
Production included light motorcycles with 147 and 187cc two-stroke engines.