German

Motorcycles Built in Germany (F)

Motorräder Hergestellt in Deutschland: Notes on some of the rarer German marques

This page lists brand names beginning with the letter "F" for which limited historical information is currently available.
For a more complete listing visit the German Index.

F

Fadag
Manufactured by automobile firm Fahrzeugfabrik Dusseldorf AG from 1921-1925 using engines of 497cc of their own manufacture and possible from Sarolea.
Source: Tragatsch p132


Fagard
1923-25
Also marketed as FG, the firm built lightweights with 145cc DKW two-stroke engines.
Source: Tragatsch p132


Falke
Albert Falke & Co. 1899-1908
Established as a bicycle factory in 1889 in Mönchengladbach, around 1896* they built a tricycle powered by a De Dion Bouton engine, along with a series of automobiles.
* Sources vary - possibly the tricycle was built in 1899.


Falke
1923-25
Built lightweights with Grade 142cc and DKW 145cc two-stroke engines.
Source: Tragatsch p133


Falter
Manufactured by Falter-Fahrradwerke, Bielefeld, 1937-1961
Pre-war models M1 and M2 with JLO engines were produced. They acquired the rights to the "Stoewer Greif" name in 1938 and built bicycles and mopeds under that famous marque. Postwar they built a large range of 50cc mopeds and powered by Sachs, JLO and Zundapp engines. From 1952 to 1959 they also built scooters.
The machines were distributed in Denmark by Philbertz Gregersen and sold under a variety of names.

Sources: GTU Oldtimerservice, mo-ped.se, Tragatsch p133.


Fama
Manufactured by Fahrzeug und Motoren-Gesellschaft of Friedrichsort, 1923-1925*. The firm is believed to have built the Leifa motorcycle, which was probably also marketed under their own name. Their machines employed 190cc OHV and 420cc SV engines of their own manufacture. The firm also built a small two-seater car.
N.B. * Some sources give production dates of 1921-1925.
Sources: Tragatsch p133, allcarindex.com


Famo
Famo built 127cc Fahrrad motoren - bicycle engines, 1923-1926.
See also Forster
Source: François-Marie Dumas, Tragatsch p133


Favorit
1933-38
Favorit Seitenwaqen und Fahrzeuqbau GmbH. Berlin-Baumschulenweg, Bodelschwinghstr. 22 24 - Fernruf: F 3 Oberspree 1018
Primarily a sidecar manufacturer, the Berlin company produced motorcycles powered by the 996cc JAP v-twin, and later built Leicht-Motorrad and Volksmotorrad (lightweights) with 98cc and 123cc Sachs engines.
Sources: Tragatsch p133, period advertising


FB
1923-25
269cc two-strokes, then JAP and Blackburne 348cc and 498cc sv and ohv models. Designed by Friedrich Benz, there were at least two models, Type I and Type II, both of 3ps. They also known with the Meteor brand on the tank.
Source: Tragatsch p133, motor-hist-foto.de


Fechtel
Manufactured by Heinrich Fechtel Motorradfabrik, Gütersloh, 1923-1925
The motorcycles used pressed-metal frames and Boge (or possibly Hansa) engines.

Sources: GTU Oldtimerservice, Tragatsch p134


Ferbedo
Manufactured by Ferdinand Betthäuser, Fürther Straße 306-312, Nuremberg-Doos, 1953-1955
The firm built scooter powered by a 49cc Zündapp two-stroke which did not fare well in the market.
An example is displayed at the Museum Industriekultur in Nürnberg
Sources: meisterdinger.de, Tragatsch p134


FEX
1923-24
Lightweights with DKW and Bekamo engines. Initially used engines of their own manufacture but these proved unreliable.
Source: Tragatsch p134


Fiamc
1951-53
Built 123cc two-stroke motorcycles and scooters using the same engines
Source: Tragatsch p134


FIX
1922-26
Built motorcycles using 3hp two-strokes from the Hansa-Lloyd factory, of whom they were a subsidiary.
Source: Tragatsch p135


FKS
There were two marques of this name:

1. FKS by Franz Krause Fahrzeugbau, Berlin S14, 1921-1925
These machines had 148 cc engines which were attached above the front wheel which it drove via belt. The engines were probably supplied by Kirchheim of Magdeburg.

2. Fritz Kläger Spezial FKS, Freiburg, 1966-1970
Built racing racing motorcycles of 250cc to 500cc.

Source: GTU Oldtimerservice


Flink
Manufactured by Motoren Werk Vareil GmbH (MWV)
Built a 43cc hilfsmotor used by several firms including Inkarette in Belgium and the Swedish marques Rambler, Karnan and Kroon.
NB. There were two other Flink brands: Flink (Sweden) and Flink by BFW 1920-1922
Source: wikipedia.nl.


Flottweg

Flux
Manufactured by Flux Kraftrad GmbH, Berlin, 1923-1924
Built a 200 cc lightweight in very small numbers.

Source: GTU Oldtimerservice


Forelle
1955-58
An established bicycle factory which built mopeds using Sachs and JLO engines.
Source: Tragatsch p138


Fortonia
Manufactured by Fortonia Motoren Werke GmbH, Schloss-Holte, 1924-1925
Fortonia used frames from Hofmann & Imsange of Bielefeld fitted with 226cc two-stroke engines of their own construction. The company closed, as did so many others in that year, due to hyperinflation.

Source: GTU Oldtimerservice


Frali
Manufactured by Franz Philipp Motorenbau, Berlin, 1951-1952
The company built a 25cc auxilliary bicycle engine with roller drive similar to that of Lohmann which although technically superior to its rivals failed to compete.

Source: GTU Oldtimerservice


Frankonia
1923-25
DKW-powered lightweights of 145cc, and larger machines using JAP sidevalve and 350cc OHV engines. At least one was available in Damen version.
Sources: Tragatsch p139, motor-hist-foto.de


Franzani

Freco
1923-25
Built a variety of motorcycles using DKW 145cc and 173cc two-strokes, Runge sv engines, and also competition machines fitted with Blackburne powerplants.
Source: Tragatsch p139


freital logo

Freital
The DKW factory in Zschopau produced motorcycles using this name in 1925-1926. Models included Type BG.
Source: Tragatsch p139


Frischauf
Manufactured by Fahrradhaus Frischauf, Offenbach, 1928-1934
The firm had a close relationship with a workers co-operative which produced bicycles, dating back to 1896. The first motorcycle was built in 1928, the 500cc Type 29 T with a Küchen engine.

Source: GTU Oldtimerservice


FTI
Created in 1947 by French designer Louis Lepoix who later worked with many companies in Germany during reconstruction, this simply beautiful machine is based on a 750cc BMW R12.
See Louis Lepoix


FUBO
1923-25
Fuchs and Börner of Falkertstraße 71, Stuttgart, built lightweights with 170cc and 269cc two-stroke engines of their own manufacture, and larger motorcycles using Blackburne 247 and 347cc sv and ohv engines. There is also a listing for a machine with a 110cc Cockerell.
Sources: Tragatsch p140, motor-hist-foto.de, wirtemberg.de


Furch
1924-25
Built light motorcycles using two-stroke engines of 1.5ps and 2.5ps. Both were tax and licence free, the larger machine having a two-speed gearbox.
Sources: motor-hist-foto.de, et al. (NIT)


German Resources

Notes
motor-hist-foto.de and das-leichtmotorrad.de are the same.


If you have a query or information about German motorcycles, please contact us

Phil Aynsley Photography
Phil Aynsley Photography
Thousands of quality photographs featuring Ducati, Moto Guzzi, MV Agusta and numerous other marques. An index to many of the amazing galleries on his site is available here:
Phil Aynsley's Motorcycle Photos